My wife says I’m a small bits guy. I don’t think she means it THAT way. For the past five years I’ve been documenting my day by writing one line in a journal. Add this writing to this 365 project and note that I am also recording one second of video a day and you can say I’m documenting small bits of my life for future consumption. A still photo, one second of video, one line in a journal. Small bits of life that I hope one day my children appreciate.
Which one is most enjoyable? The video. Though the process of thinking back on my day and picking one detail to put in writing is relaxing. This 365 project is rewarding, but enjoyable? Not too sure. You’re all judging me; and that can be stressful.
Here is what I wrote during a random week from 2009.
- 2/25/09 – had chicken stir fry for dinner, it was a good one
- 2/26/09 – About 7″ of snow fell today, watched two trucks get stuck in St. Paul
- 2/27/09 Cut up an orange, bananas, pear and grapes with dinner
- 2/28/09 Went to Modern Design Interiors, saw some great chairs
- 3/1/09 – Active day: church, Y, sledding, swimming
- 3/2/09 – AJ at Mom’s, just me, S and LJ…quiet night
- 3/3/09 – There are a lot of ‘ladybugs’ in the house, where do they come from?
It’s never too late to start doing something like this. I’d recommend it, if only to be able to look back and see what you were doing a month, year, or two years years ago.
- A month ago we: had a family dinner at Panda Garden
- A year ago I: went to a party with a group of high school friends
- Two years ago I: played marbles with AJ before we read bedtime stories
It’s the little things, I guess.